ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jul 2011 13:03:52 -0400

Kathy,

We recently did this for an event at our local baseball stadium.

We created a simple slide-together walkway structure 7ft long and 2.5ft wide
from 8inch tall sheets of plywood to create an open frame. Notches at the
ends allowed them to fit together kind of like Lincoln logs. The idea was to
create something that could be transported disassembled in our outreach van.
A sheet of thick plastic went inside and was held down with a few sheets of
masonite to provide a nice smooth  "bottom" in case a foot went all the way
down. It was filled with around 250 pounds of cornstarch - water added to
get the right mixture. That created about a three to four inch thick layer.
The ground below us was not flat so we ended up with more oobleck on one end
than the other - try to avoid that.

We had five team on hand to help mix everything up with their hands. After a
while the mixture seems to settle out and was in need of more mixing and the
participants at the event were more than happy to dig in and help us mix
things up. We added about a gallon of tempura paint to get a greenish color.
Don't use food coloring - it stains.

We were concerned about how to clean up and get the oobleck out of the
trough. It's actually pretty easy to scoop your hands in and pull out
semi-solid hunks which we dropped in several 5 gallon buckets and hauled
back to the science center. Clean up was faster than the setup.

Carl

--
*Carl Nelson*
Chief Scientist & Exhibits Director