HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 10 May 2012 08:08:54 +0800
Hi David

I will contact the people below. However, do you know personally if anyone
has researched the Goodnight ranch. I know of Goodnight (anyone who grew up
watching B western's does) I also almost visited it after the SHA conference
in Austin but snow in the canyon put my friends off. The place in West Texas
I was thinking of researching is also connected to Goodnight, the ranch of
his partner Oliver Lovering which was also the place Goodnight brought his
body back too (as in Lonesome Dove). Goodnight's previous ranch was also
nearby as is the starting point for their interstate cattle drives. You can
see why I think the area is somewhat connected to the idea of the 'wild
west' shown in movies.

Gaye