HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2012 16:39:33 -0500
Interesting.  Thank you for the reply.

Linda

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of paul
courtney
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 4:09 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Culture shock

Where should I start
A conference with 1600 people instead of 15. Armed guards on the doors of
banks etc in central Richmond (I know its more gentified now) , a city
centre devoid of people except in cars after 6pm- that is very freaky for
Europeans,  grits, frozen beer,
  getting eat out instead of eat in when tried to order breakfast on my
first day, a failure to work the showers, light switches/alarm clock etc./
make the drinks machine fill my cup up.. Photos in lectures of 1 metre wide
excavations instead of 100 metres - the height of open area excavation in
those days in the UK, US cultural anthropology which has rather different
emphases to the hotchpoch of European social sciences though here has been a
lot more cross fertilization since then.  However I discovered pecans,
blueberry muffins (Both now ubiquitous over here), iced tea (not so keen)
and eggs Benedict- yummy. Saw some amazing Virginian houses and the stunning
James river got to talk with people like the late John Cotter and  thank you
to Katherine Harbury who drove me to Williamsburg and Jamestown and thought
I was being extravagant buying her  a meal in recompense at a Williamsburg
tavern (for the cost of  a burger in London).

paul