HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2011 16:17:16 -0400
George,
It is rather difficult to think of cheese,liquid milk and butter as something political, but those who operate in
the market are always looking to expand their profitablity on the backs of producers, that is primarily what
drove cheese and butter production west. Those who wanted to take advantage of the farmers in up-state New York
to supply fresh milk to the Eastern Seaboard cities discovered farmers had a little more marketing sense than
taking whatever was offered to them, especially when they started to talk to each other in terms of pricing. My
understanding is this is what created the cheese business in the farm regions of New York, a way to convert milk
into something that could be sold locally and reduce the supply of available milk until they got something like
parity for their production. The middle man's response was to buy cheese in Ohio and flood the market, driving
the small towncheese market out of business. The same for butter, I really do think the fix was in to give John
Stewart the gold medal for overall best butter at the centenial exposition in 1876 at Philly.
Borden and his evaporated milk also turned into a political hot potato, he could can his milk whenever the prices
for wholesale milk were cheapest and sell it for high prices to emmigrants who lacked refrigeration in the cold
water walkups and tenements.
Industrialized farming has been with us quite a while, and has failed miserably over and over again. It really
doesn't matter if it was milk butter eggs or Monsanto and genetic engineering, collapse is right around the
corner when greedy middle men and market manipulators take over.  Steve Hanken