HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2011 11:56:04 -0400
On Jun 30, 2011, at 10:49 AM, Linda Derry wrote:

> Here's a question to those of you that have excavated remains of early log
> cabins.  Has anyone discovered one that sat atop a full brick foundation  or
> one with a brick floor? If so, I'd like to hear the details.
Sounds from your last paragraph like opportunistic adaptation from readily available factory seconds or dog robbing.

> Of course some must have sat directly on the ground, but what is the range
> of possibilities for foundations for log cabins?
Of the ones I've seen and surveyed in VA, there are two variants: some have fieldstone solid foundations (by solid I mean continuous linear uninterrupted); while the others have piled rock piers. But, the stones are never laid with mortar. More of a linear pile of stone upon which the log framework was laid, and which was later chinked. Every one I've seen that was on a mortared stone wall was a rebuilt or new-built foundation. Also, the mortared stone foundations are invariably higher than the piled rock foundations.

>   And the same question for
> flooring in log cabins.  I've seen reference to puncheon floors in
> documents, but what about brick.
I've just finished surveying in Pittsylvania County, VA with a plethora of log cabins/houses. All of these had the piled rock or rock pier foundations. But they also had tongue and groove flooring. Whether this was replacement, I cannot at this point determine, but it looks like original stuff. It is also evident that the flooring was designed as part of the original build of the structure judging from the doors and fireplaces. Also, as Pittsylvania is decidedly not flat, piers make economic sense as well as building sense.

Lyle Browning, RPA