HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Daniel Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 2010 15:15:16 -0700
The scope of carbon elements in historic Archaeology is far larger than I thought at first. I recently assisted with the excavation and analysis of a lumber mill machine shop excavated in advance of a  bypass around Sandpoint Idaho. After the second bad fire at the mill a second machine shop was built and the old one was converted into a battery shop to service electric vehicles for the yard. The industrial use of electric vehicles in fairly well ventilated contexts like this surprised me. Apparently arc lights were also used extensively for industrial lights after they were less common elsewhere. I think that arc lights depend on DC current so that may be another reason for their eventual rarity, as well as the work of maintaining them. Some of the carbon (carbon/graphite?) rods we recovered had partial brand names. One of the brand names was "Electra", doing a Google search was frustrated by the overwhelming number of "Carmen Electra" hits. Doing a Google Book search and setting the parameters for "total download" only, helped by eliminating  almost everything after 1920. I found Google Books ability to pick out ads could be very useful as well. The patent search is very useful particularly in looking at parts of things; however, I also have had some success looking at manuals and trade journals for the things as they were actually marketed and used.
    Another curiosity was finding a graphite/carbon composite disc that was part of a starter motor. The ability of these discs as initially poor conductors which improve their conduction under pressure made them useful to eliminate the hard jerk on a motor when the power is first turned on. They were apparently arranged on rods balanced across from one another in such a way that power was directed through them to the electric motor; as they turned the centrifugal force of their rotation compressed them and improved their conduction so that they increased the power going to the motor slowly. I am not sure if this is still common in such machine tools as lathes or mills.
   Google Books has digitized many manuals from the turn of the century (19th to 20th) which can be very useful. The uses for carbon/graphite in personal medical devices ("Power Belts") is particularly interesting to me, as well as the whole realm of medical batteries in the 19th century. I think that these devices must have been much more common than I realized in the past but that they can be very hard to ID in the field or the lab. just looking at the number of them being offered in medical catalogs seems to suggest that they were very successful. DOES ANYONE HAVE A COMPLETE "POWER BELT"?