From:
Larry Krengel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2011 08:56:19 -0500
I am doing battle with bears.  I have now placed a battery-powered sonic
alarm by my bees.  It worked last night.  A bear and her cub decided to
leave when the alarm sounded.  I am wondering what affect the alarm might
have on the bees.  It senses motion using an infrared motion sensor.  I
don't believe the bees are sensitive to that range.  But when the alarm goes
off it emits a 120 db warbling siren.  It is pointed away from the hives and
runs for 60 seconds then resets.  I am wondering what effect the alarm might
have on the bees in the dark of night?  After one night I can see no
problems and I hope the bears learn to forage elsewhere.  But it may take a
number of night.  Have any others tried this as a bear defense?  Will the
siren be a problem for the bees?

These are black bears in Northern Wisconsin and the population is on the
rise.  One night with the bear and the bees are in bad shape.

Larry Krengel