From:
Linda Madsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 2011 18:19:26 -0700
Dear Pat,
Yes, both avocado & banana have proteins that are similar to that found in natural rubber latex. There is a whole list of foods that can possibly cause cross-reactions. Many times they are not full blown allergic reactions, but what is termed "oral allergy syndrome" where a person affected might have itching in the oral mucosa, gastrointestinal distress, diarrhea, and skin irritation shortly after consuming the offending food.  Other possible foods linked to latex rubber allergy & oral allergy syndrome include: potato, tomato, kiwi, chestnut, walnut, passion fruit, pear, grapefruit, mushroom, bell pepper, mango, pineapple, celery, cantaloupe, apple, papaya, almond, buckwheat, fig, lettuce, peach, orange, peanut, strawberry, pepper, mustard, watermelon, bamboo shoot, carrot, coconut, apricot, loquat, peppermint, soybean, cherry, nectarine.

Here is one link with more information from the National Institutes of Health:
http://dmd.nihs.go.jp/latex/cross-e.html
There is also more valuable information & support that can be shared from The American Latex Allergy Association:
www.latexallergyresources.org

I have personal experience with this matter.  It was my allergy to natural rubber latex that ended my hospital nursing career in 2003.  I was first diagnosed in the mid-1990s as being latex sensitive, then I eventually started having anaphylactic reactions. I do not react to all the foods but I do now have true food allergies to tomato, hazelnut, walnut, canatalope, orange.  Not all people who have latex sensistivity or other allergies continue to progress to true allergic status. About 10% do at the last time I looked at the research. The risk of converting is much higher if the mother has allergies.  Interestingly, my mother who is a respiratory therapist has also now been diagnosed as latex allergic. We come from a family with a history of atopic illness and asthma, but I only had mild seasonal allergies prior to developing this condition. Many bandages and other healthcare items can now be found in latex-safe varieties but it does take careful
 reading of labels.  I check before going to new restaurants to see if food preparation is done with latex gloves. I do not eat or spend much times where latex balloons are because I have had attacks when balloons have popped near me. I do not wear clothes that contain latex or have exposed elastic. Latex paint, however, does not have latex rubber in it unless it is marine paint.

The mother may want to check with her PCP about being checked for latex rubber sensitivity and discuss with her child's PCP whether her child should be tested. I would want to err on the side of caution both for her and the child. I am assuming you have already cautioned her to not eat bananas and avocado herself since they are proving troublesome for her son. She should introduce new foods slowly and one at a time to observe for any signs of distress. She should warn all health practitioners not to use any latex items on her or the child to help protect him. It might also be helpful to check and see if he has had any problems with the elastic around disposable diapers. It is much easier to work on avoiding exposure than dealing with the effects if the condition progresses.

Sincerely,
Linda A. Madsen, RN, BS
Wylie, TX