ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2011 08:32:37 -0700
7bit
From:
Joe Ruggiero <[log in to unmask]>

Kim,

Generally, when you hire 'manpower' you must consider it 'muscle' not
brain. It's not that these folks aren't sometimes pretty bright. It's
just that you can't rely on them being so. The person in charge of the
installation will have to watch them like a hawk and orchestrate their
movements.

Often, though not always, a traveling exhibit comes with an installer.
These people usually know how to handle labor. Chris Diegl, who was out
of Orlando, who I worked with on several installations, is a prime
example of this kind of guy. They may not be that familiar with your
facility, but they know the exhibition. The more you can communicate
with them before the exhibit arrives and the installation begins, the
better they will be able to form a plan for using the help you hire.
Naturally, this requires that your museum, maybe you, know before hand
where you want things to go.

I can't stress this enough. You have to do your homework, do a floor
plan, study the installation manual, so when that day comes, and the
truck starts unloading, you know exactly where each crate should be staged.

Having too many hands around can be worse than having too few. People
who don't know what they are doing can get themselves into trouble
pretty fast, so careful supervision of labor is important. This is not
rocket science. Putting an exhibition together is mostly common sense,
though some exhibit designers (maybe all) take pride in their ability to
come up with quirky solutions to the unique challenges of designing an
exhibit that has to fold up and go away every three months. So, if you
find a crew of hands that you like to work with, try to hire them again.
They will quickly learn some of the basic tricks, and in a few
exhibition changeover cycles they'll be much more self sufficient.

Of course, if you're hiring a company that does this kind of work, make
sure they are insured.

Joe R
www.TheExhibitGuys.com

--