Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2011 10:02:31 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
My daughter's baby also has a tight labial frenulum.  My daughter actually had to find 
different positions to nurse her in when she was little and just kept readjusting until 
she found one that didn't hurt.No one actually diagnosed the frenulum (not even her 
IBCLC doctor) until I noticed it later on in her first year.  In Supporting Sucking 
Skills, Genna recommends increasing head extension in order to allow the baby to 
grasp the breast sufficiently.  However, she also says that treatment in infancy can 
improve breastfeeding.  She also points out in the book that treatment in adulthood is 
more difficult.

There was an article in JHL last year linking the labial frenulum problem with early 
childhood cavities in breastfeeding babies.  My granddaughter in fact has had a 
problem with cavities (fortunately caught before they became serious) it wasn't until 
she started having spots on her teeth that I even examined her mouth and found the 
labial frenulum problem. Oh,  and btw the pediatric dentist has had no interest in 
doing anything about her frenulum either.  He's mostly interested in pushing for 
weaning. Nearly a year later she's still nursing and the teeth situation is stable.

Perhaps Cathy Watson Genna could weigh in on this one....

Liz Swift

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2