From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2011 08:17:27 -0500
Dear all:

I can think of two reasons why an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant might be worried about a foster parent breastfeeding in our US legal system.  Law suits and child protective services are not fully educated on the risks of formula feeding DESPITE their being a NY State Statute (probably lobbied for by Ruth Lawrence) that infants in New York have a right to human milk.  Somehow, that little statute is completely ignored.

I'm feeling grumpy today because I am having to mop up after a case were I am firmly convinced that the baby suffered from gut damage due to unnecessary use of powdered formula.  All is being blamed on moms milk and the mom is now emaciated.  Instead of being told what foods she CAN eat, she has been told the substances she canNOT eat.  I had this image that registered dieticians helped moms find the food products and the recipes to eat nutritious food when they must restrict certain substances from their diet.  Apparently, that is not the case in this instance.

Best, Susan Burger