ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2011 15:47:15 -0800

Some thirty years ago, Pittsburgh's original Buhl Planetarium and Institute of Popular Science did receive some free-vees from publishers. One of our physics instructors asked for, and received, free copies of science textbooks for the Buhl Planetarium Library.

Regarding direct access to research journals, I would suggest that ASTC may want to collaborate with public libraries and academic organizations regarding such licensing. Public library networks already do some of this, but it is not free. And, publishers will not likely provide any greater discounts than are given to public libraries.

A collaboration among ASTC, public libraries, and colleges may be a way to provide such access at the lowest cost for all.

gaw

Glenn A. Walsh, Project Director,

Friends of the Zeiss < http://friendsofthezeiss.org >

Electronic Mail - < [log in to unmask] >

SPACE & SCIENCE NEWS, ASTRONOMICAL CALENDAR:

  < http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/#news >

Author of History Web Sites on the Internet --

* Buhl Planetarium, Pittsburgh:

  < http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com >

* Adler Planetarium, Chicago:

  < http://adlerplanetarium.tripod.com >

* Astronomer, Educator, Optician John A. Brashear:

  < http://johnbrashear.tripod.com >

* Andrew Carnegie & Carnegie Libraries:

  < http://andrewcarnegie.tripod.com >

* Duquesne Incline cable-car railway, Pittsburgh:

  < http://incline.pghfree.net >

* Public Transit:

  < http://andrewcarnegie2.tripod.com/transit >