ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jeff Courtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2011 11:39:42 -0600

Funny choice of words...."believe" in science is used several
time.....does that mean I should take it on faith :).

I would suggest one of the problems is with zealots on both sides of
the issue.  Rather than convincing someone from the opposing team they
are wrong and I am right, how about starting from a position of mutual
respect?  In other words, might we be better  served in any
confrontation by starting with a discussion of the difference in
perspective rather than jumping right into the meat of the matter.
Changes to one's fundamental beliefs, except in extreme circumstances
(think 9/11, for example) are rare.  Think back to your reaction when,
as a kid, someone might have challenged you, but you remained
absolutely, positively convinced you were right.  Were you more likely
to engage in a conversation if the challenge was direct, as in 'Your
are wrong,' or 'Thats an interesting idea.  Have you thought
about.....?"  I am not suggesting it is necessary to put on kid gloves
(sorry sheep), but rather to be aware of where the conversation
begins.  Each domain of human knowledge and interest has its own
expert culture.  Religion and science are no exceptions.  Starting
from a position of mutual respect is more likely to neutralize the
charged emotions that often come with such discussions.

Just another 2 cents.....

Jeff C.