HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ellen Chapman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2012 09:53:23 -0500
Hi Conrad,

I'm a graduate student and just attended SHAs for the second time. The SHAs
are very accommodating to students - we can volunteer for free
registration, in fact, and there's a student travel award we can compete
for. Additionally,the cost of the conference for student members, at $120,
is within your $20-40/day range.

SHA is one of the major annual conferences in archaeology, and smaller
regional conferences (Midwest Archaeological Conference, Council for
Northeast Historical Archaeology conference, Midwest Historical Archaeology
conference, South Central Historical Archaeology Conference, etc) are much
more affordable and much more likely to be within an affordable distance of
wherever you live. There's a place for both types of conferences in
archaeology. Like many people have pointed out, none of us can go to every
conference every year, and most of us are paying quite a bit out of pocket
to attend these conferences, because they cost a lot to put on.

Finally, I don't mind the registration fee because I like the atmosphere of
the SHA and wouldn't want to see it changed. Archaeology is so popular with
laypeople that ultra cheap conference registration would likely result in a
significant influx of members of the public. Archaeology is beholden to the
public and should be responsive and available to them, but that doesn't
mean there's no place in the discipline for professional development in a
somewhat closed sphere. A lot of what makes the SHA so valuable to student
attendees like myself (the opportunity to have their papers seen by
academics and to meet prominent scholars in a relatively accessible manner)
would be diluted if there was a significant proportion of interested
amateurs. I recognize that long-term volunteers are no less knowledgeable
or committed than some students or entry-level professionals, but I'm not
sure whether the organization could address your grievances without really
changing the atmosphere of the conference.

This is just my two cents - I'm not a representative of SHA and am not even
a member yet
Ellen Chapman