From:
Cassidy Hotz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2011 20:08:26 -0800
Permission to post.

A friend of mine is also a client. 3 weeks ago she had her baby at 33 weeks
gestation (he is 36 week 3 days today) and she emailed me questions about the
NICU and scheduled feedings. I haven't yet worked with a baby currently in the
NICU, so I thought I'd ask your wide range of experiences. Is this routine
across NICUs? Doesn't it seem odd to expect a twenty minute feed when full term
babies often eat for a shorter time?

"Nicu is very scheduled (for reasons I understand) but my mothering  through
breastfeeding is not oriented to clocks and timed feedings. This  is making it
difficult for me (& baby) to get in full feedings.  Their policy is to
supplement w/expressed breastmilk when the nursing  session lasts less than
twenty minutes. They do use a sliding scale to  determine how much to give. I
know that he can take in more than an  ounce (which is 30 ml a full feeding is
50 ml) in ten minutes (one of  the nurses is working with me & we weighed him
before & after).  In your exp/understanding is baby going to be able to meet
their  expectations of a 20min feed? I know of course that it all depends on
baby etc. I just don't want him to have to stay at hospital extra long  just
because of a possibly outdated policy. To be fair, the staff &  Dr. are
beautifully pro-breastfeeding and go out of their way to  provide support."

I searched the archives and found info that was several years old. Any thoughts
on current practice? Maybe some links to research?

Thanks!!
Cassidy IBCLC, LLL
in central Oklahoma