Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2011 16:24:19 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Dear all:

I have often wondered why goat's milk, especially when a vet once sent me the composition of the various milks from domesticated mammals and goat's milk was no closer to human milk than cow's milk.  Turns out that the goat farmers (I don't know why they are called dairy farmers -- since farming involves plants) in Great Britain launched an advertising campaign every bit as deceptive as that of the dairy farmers.  It was quite shocking actually how they pitched it -- based on no evidence whatsoever.  

Rice is even further from human milk and lower in protein than soy -- neither of which are really designed to be ingested by infants.  Polished rice was a huge cause of beriberi.  Just because you can process a plant into looking like some other food stuff doesn't mean that it is nutritionally similar to that food stuff.  And the further it is from that food stuff, the more you have to add to it to make it resemble that food stuff.  

As a species we've already invested too many precious natural resources into the processing of artificial milk.  I think we need to think more locally when it comes to human milk, just as we have started to with other processed foods.

Susan Burger, MHS, PhD, IBCLC  

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2