Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2011 07:52:46 -0500
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Sonya Myles <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Vicki

Absolutely! When I first heard Suzanne speak I thought she was out to lunch! There was no way a baby could do what she was saying, or so I thought... Then  a year later I hear her speak again, and thought to myself, wow, she's still out there, there might be something in this, I should try it out. Since I have been personally working with BN positioning, I hardly ever ever use anything else, and only if mom has seen someone else first and wants to try cross cradle. Usually by the end of the appointment I have given her another position (BN) to work with. I have found this to be a very powerful position to use, moms and babies both just love it. When mom has flatter nipples and baby is struggling to latch I get her to do the "previously dreaded but now it works" scissors hold, compressing the breast from where the baby's chin and the baby's nose are to help facilitate latch. I also warn her not to make the nipple a moving target if she is holding it, that she needs to just hold it still for babe to find, and all the head shaking and on and off that babe is doing is all natural and good, he is doing what comes naturally (and helping getting that milk ready to flow).   Play around with the position, the more you work with it the more comfortable you will become with different mom body types using it. I also use it for my c-section moms, just have baby lying above where the incision is.

I tell mom's that baby mammals are responsible for finding their own food and I have yet to see a blind newborn kitten get help from mom to latch. Baby kangaroos are even more impressive, they are born in fetal state and manage to crawl a long way on the outside of the mom's body before finding their way into the pouch and self latching. Think of baby whales, no way mom can help them latch and imagine trying to latch when all those water currents are jostling you around, and you can't tell me that kittens, kangaroos and whales are smarter babies than ours!

Best way to learn is to play around with it, you will probably be hesitant at first, I know I was, but now it's my go to position :)

Hope that helps,
Sonya

(who is being brave admitting that it took her a year to see the light... )