Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2012 21:34:02 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (70 lines)
The thread is nearly dead, but wanted to add that the same week as the reality show visit we had a metal detector article above the fold in the Sunday paper.  There was a lot of reaction and crossfire between these issues.  Kathy Deagan sent an elegant response to the newspaper, but papers picking it up on the wire didn't post her reaction--something to look for in your own cities.

On the issue of the reality show, they are set to dig (I've heard) near the Osceola capture site on private property outside of the city.  We're reaching out to the landowner, but not much can be done.  I'm glad to see it on HistArch because the "Recovery Project" show is likely headed (or has already been) to many of your areas, 20 cities projected.  Craigslist is one way she is advertising, looking for sites.  I've seen postings in Detroit, San Antonio, and future cities include Chicago, Boston, and Tombstone.

For links to original paper postings and responses on these issues as well as resources we gave out to the public, see post at link below (response post to metal detectors by our county archaeologist but I summarized the postings at the bottom for easy reference).  If you have any resources you think would benefit the public to have when responding to articles like these, I'd be happy to add to the arsenal  (please send directly to me, [log in to unmask]).  The PEIC of SHA are developing a tool box for public archaeology and would also be happy to add any resources in conflict management and ethics.

http://fpangoingpublic.blogspot.com/2012/01/artifact-collecting-st-johns-county.html

Sarah

Sarah E. Miller
Director/Public Archaeologist
Northeast Regional Center
Florida Public Archaeology Network

Flagler College
P.O. Box 1027
74 King Street
St. Augustine, FL

work:  904-819-6476
fax: 904-819-6499

www.flpublicarchaeology.org
Follow us on Twitter for latest area updates FPANnortheast
Join us on Facebook FPANnortheast

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Cami McCraw
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 11:03 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Repost link: Reality TV Producer Planning to dig up Archaeological Resources

As Ernest pointed out, here is the URL for the production company, if you are really wanting to go that route (I would not, as this is 'the middle-man' but here it is):
http://www.gurneyproductions.com/content/gurney-productions
The money & power is with the EPs, listed here:
Executive Producers:
Scott Gurney, Deirdre Gurney

The "hands-on" is the VP of Production, listed here:
VP of Production:
Joe Weinstock

I've left Ernest's URL for the 'contact page' below.
As I mentioned yesterday, I've had hand surgery so typing is tough. I've done a lot of reading on this list (and thank you to gjcarver for being first to send me the repost off-list, and to everyone for filling me in on the beginning of the story.)
  Remember we all have "our areas" and you are all the professors & archaeology experts, etc., etc....I am not.  -Radio/Television Broadcasting & Television Production (and and even Broadcast Meteorology!) is my area. I want to add that of all the posts I have read on-list, Lucy Wayne is the most on-track I've seen.
  I will add more later; one step at a time in the typing dept. for me!
  -Cami McCraw
Stretch Productions
http://www.stretchproductions.com/RohlProducts.html

----- Original Message -----
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:04 PM
Subject: Re: Repost link: Reality TV Producer Planning to dig up Archaeological Resources

I searched the Desiree Mandelbaum mentioned found a facebook for her listing her working for gurney productions, did  search for them got their URL.  Here is the contact URL.  The show isn't on their show list but if in production it might not be but I can guess its being done for this production company.

http://www.gurneyproductions.com/contact

This email contains CONFIDENTIAL information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify us by reply email and delete this email from your records. Furthermore, the contents of this email do not necessarily represent official policy of Flagler College.

ATOM RSS1 RSS2