HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Miller, Sarah E." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2012 21:34:02 +0000
The thread is nearly dead, but wanted to add that the same week as the reality show visit we had a metal detector article above the fold in the Sunday paper.  There was a lot of reaction and crossfire between these issues.  Kathy Deagan sent an elegant response to the newspaper, but papers picking it up on the wire didn't post her reaction--something to look for in your own cities.

On the issue of the reality show, they are set to dig (I've heard) near the Osceola capture site on private property outside of the city.  We're reaching out to the landowner, but not much can be done.  I'm glad to see it on HistArch because the "Recovery Project" show is likely headed (or has already been) to many of your areas, 20 cities projected.  Craigslist is one way she is advertising, looking for sites.  I've seen postings in Detroit, San Antonio, and future cities include Chicago, Boston, and Tombstone.

For links to original paper postings and responses on these issues as well as resources we gave out to the public, see post at link below (response post to metal detectors by our county archaeologist but I summarized the postings at the bottom for easy reference).  If you have any resources you think would benefit the public to have when responding to articles like these, I'd be happy to add to the arsenal  (please send directly to me, [log in to unmask]).  The PEIC of SHA are developing a tool box for public archaeology and would also be happy to add any resources in conflict management and ethics.

http://fpangoingpublic.blogspot.com/2012/01/artifact-collecting-st-johns-county.html

Sarah

Sarah E. Miller
Director/Public Archaeologist
Northeast Regional Center
Florida Public Archaeology Network

Flagler College
P.O. Box 1027
74 King Street
St. Augustine, FL
32085

work:  904-819-6476
fax: 904-819-6499

www.flpublicarchaeology.org
Follow us on Twitter for latest area updates FPANnortheast
Join us on Facebook FPANnortheast