HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
William Lees <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:34:47 -0500
To the members of the Society for Historical Archaeology,

I have been in my car the past two days coming back from the SHA mid-year
meeting of the board of directors and could not respond immediately to Dr.
Schuyler's original post concerning his position on the proposed revisions
to the SHA constitution and bylaws, which are now before the membership for
approval.

I wish to thank SHA Editor Joe Joseph for clarifying the issues related to
the change in editorial representation on the board.  As Joe has said, we
have for very many years had two editors on the board as full voting
members.  With the proposed revisions, the members will have a say about
which of our four SHA editors will serve in that capacity.  I appreciate
Bob's clarification indicating that he supports this revision.

As to the purpose statement, this was developed by the board during recent
strategic planning that resulted in the adoption of a five-year strategic
work plan in June of 2009.  The proposed purpose statement was published on
Page 4 of the Fall 2009 *SHA Newsletter* (vol 42 no 3).  As far as I am
aware, no comments were received at that time about the appropriateness of
this proposed purpose statement.  Regardless, I respect Dr. Schuyler's
opinion on the proposed statement and hope that each of you will take the
time to fully consider this and other proposed revisions, and will express
your opinions to the board through your vote.

The board has worked very hard for a number of years in bringing these
proposed revisions to you for approval--regardless of how you vote we will
sincerely appreciate your time in reviewing the changes and the ballot, and
casting your vote.

*William B. Lees, PhD, RPA
Executive Director, Florida Public Archaeology Network
President, Society for Historical Archaeology*

*University of West Florida*
*Florida Public Archaeology Network*
207 East Main Street
Pensacola, FL  32502