ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lynn Cartwright-Punnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2011 17:30:34 -0400

Hi, Alissa,

I checked with the animal curator here at Brooklyn Children's Museum. Below is his response... hope it helps! (Jarad mentions "captive care" - many species act differently in captivity vs. in the wild, so that may explain the discrepancy between the year you had been quoted and the increased frequency you are seeing.)

Lynn Cartwright-Punnett
Science Educator
Brooklyn Children's Museum

These are land hermits, I take it. Frequency of molting depends on species and age: younger crustaceans molt more often than mature ones, some species more often than others. Either way, molting is a natural process, and as long as they are in fact molting, I would assume that they're doing well. If they are going long periods, such as a year, I would verify the proper frequency by properly identifying the animals and researching their captive care.

As for humidity, this again depends on the species. All do need some humidity, but some more than others. Excessive moisture could lead to mold and fungal invasions that could cause fatal maladies. Better temperature regulation of the enclosure could solve the condensation issue - what are the day vs night temps in the area around the enclosure as well as inside the enclosure? If there is a way to provide incandescent lighting targeted at the side of the enclosure desired for viewing (from the inside out), that should evaporate the excess moisture and clear the glass. It is basically the disparity between the internal and external temps that are causing this, so you would need to get those temperatures as close as is tolerable - this shouldn't be difficult with land hermits.

Hope that answers your Q's...