ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Beryl Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2011 09:29:37 -0400

Carlos Lois at MIT's Dept. of Brain and Cognitive Sciences working for years on canaries and how they learn songs.  Apparently they are capable of stripping out old songs and inventing new ones…see page 2:

http://bcs.mit.edu/docs/newsevents/newsletters/bcsnewsletter_spring_2003.pdf

Beryl

On Aug 20, 2011, at 12:12 PM, Jennie Dusheck wrote:

> It's all ever so cool. I somehow missed this.
>
> But thinking about the idea that this gene function is convergent, I'm wondering if FoxP2 is more involved in listening well (for learning) than in vocalization per se? (Wikipedia says it "modulates neuroplasticity".)
>
> I ask this because lots of animals in both lineages (birds/"reptiles" and mammals) have to learn to recognize sounds even if they don't vocalize very interestingly. Then the phenomenon doesn't have to be quite so stunningly convergent.  Do people know?
>
> I am probably being unclear, not having finished my coffee yet.
> Jennie Dusheck
>

> At 6:01 AM -0700 8/20/11, Charlie Carlson wrote:
>> http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=birds-share-language-gene
>>
>> Hi Martin et al,
>> To continue the segue, here's a bit more on the vocal capabilities of birds and neural genetic origins.  There are even some more recent studies, which suggest some profound similarities behaviorally, with corresponding molecular and developmental aspects.
>> We call it "tweeting" for a reason, to stretch a point.
>> Enjoy,
>>
>> Sent from Charlie's iPad
>> Charles Carlson
>> 2739 Stuart St.
>> Berkeley, CA 94705

> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
>
> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.
>
> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit

Beryl Rosenthal, PhD
Executive Director, Waterworks Museum
www.waterworksmuseum.org
2450 Beacon St., Boston, MA 02467