Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2010 17:20:17 EST

Amy writes writes:

It's one  thing to assess risks and make decisions for our own children;
it's another  for those risks to be considered for a donor milk recipient.
So, I don't  think this is saying we need to employ these (or other,
similar)standards to  feed our own babies.

Hello all,
A few thoughts:
The donor is doing the altruistic and otherwise uncompensated act and in my
 opinion the recipient should bear all costs above and beyond normal good
health  testing ( yearly check-up and blood work, etc.).
As for Amy's comment: it reminds me of the Safe Food Handling Course I had
to attend and pass to be able to cook and serve food to hungry and homeless
 folks in NYC. We all went in with good intentions figuring we would treat
these  folks like family and that would be good. It wasn't. The assumption
was that  many folks were sicker, more immunocompromised, and in general more
vulnerable  than our own children, so precautions in preparation, cooking,
serving and  storing, were at a much higher level. We also felt like "Wow we
could be dead  with all the "errors" in safety we make on a regular basis"
( example: one is  never to re-heat any food more than once.) Now it may not
be true that babies  getting donor milk are more vulnerable than our own
children, but if any of them  are getting formula, or were born by CSection,
then they are, at least  at some level. So I could see being more stringent
about certain things, or at  least being transparent about them. For
instance, I wouldn't necessarily mind if  a mom donated milk to my baby, and she had
 Nettles or Red Raspberry Leaf  tea, or even the occasional Echinacea
tincture or something, but I would want to  know and be able to decide for myself.

Peace,
Judy