Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2011 21:00:17 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
I think if you dig into the Neonatal Resuscitation manual, you might be able to come up with some references as to why routine suction is not recommended, though it probably does not go into feeding problems.

Sometimes suction is needed at birth but most often it is not.  NRP recommendations were changed about 5 years back to recommend only suctioning when needed.  Since that time suction (in our hospital) is no longer available to the person delivering the baby, therefore no suction at the perineum.  Suction is available at the resuscitation table that is only used if the baby is not vigorous after baby is assessed and dried in (usually) mother's arms or if not vigorous and meconium is present.

Cordelia Merritt RN BSN IBCLC NRP instructor

On Feb 2, 2011, at 11:48 AM, LACTNET automatic digest system wrote:

> 
> Date:    Wed, 2 Feb 2011 14:48:37 -0500
> From:    Kelly Smith <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: suctioning at birth and bf difficulties
> 
> We are currently updating policies at our facility and I have been asked to provide evidence based research concerning suctioning at birth. I have seen in my practice that babies that have had DeLee suctioning or any mechanical suctioning at birth tend to guard their soft palates and latch issues occur. I attended Gold 2010 and thought for sure in my notes I would find some references to support the claim that oralpharyngeal suctioning can cause feeding issues but did not find what I was needing. 
> 
> I am hoping our friendly lactnetters might have some references that I can use. Please send me any that you know of. 
> Thank you, 
> Kelly

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2