From:
Cordelia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2011 21:00:17 -0800
I think if you dig into the Neonatal Resuscitation manual, you might be able to come up with some references as to why routine suction is not recommended, though it probably does not go into feeding problems.

Sometimes suction is needed at birth but most often it is not.  NRP recommendations were changed about 5 years back to recommend only suctioning when needed.  Since that time suction (in our hospital) is no longer available to the person delivering the baby, therefore no suction at the perineum.  Suction is available at the resuscitation table that is only used if the baby is not vigorous after baby is assessed and dried in (usually) mother's arms or if not vigorous and meconium is present.

Cordelia Merritt RN BSN IBCLC NRP instructor