From:
Cassidy Hotz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2010 07:35:14 -0700
Michelle,

I thought the definition of "colic" was the "rule of 3's" - starting around
three months, lasting about three hours an evening/night, and typically longer
than three weeks. It seems like a lot of babies, whether "colicky" or not, fuss
in the evening. That is why the dinner hour is known as 'Grandma's hour' or the
'witching hour', right? I worry that a lot of babies who show common evening
fussiness are labeled as "colic" and the mother is given advice to eliminate
foods from her diet. IMHO, if moms find that eliminating something seems to
help, then fantastic, but I am leery of dietary management when the only symptom
is 'colic'. Too many families end up eliminating too many foods without solid
reason. Food elimination is not completely benign; it carries physical risks and
can be extremely stressful. In cases of 'colic', I always try to talk with
mothers about life with baby (does mom have flags for PPD?) and encourage those
good practices (slings, nursing, co-sleeping, even swaddling and rocking) that
seem to help reduce stress for moms and babies both.

As far as dairy elimination, two weeks is really the minimum because that is
approximately the amount of time it takes the proteins to fully leave the body.
I know that is the standard given for allergic individuals and it seems to hold
true with the nursing dyad, though symptoms can begin to improve as early as a
day or two after elimination. Other foods have different elimination times,  but
I think dairy is one of the longest which is part of the reason that I am leery
of jumping on the elimination wagon without really solid reason.

Cassidy, CLC and LLL (still impatiently awaiting IBCLC results)
who moved from Fayetteville, AR USA to Edmond, OK and whose 7 year old is
healthy because of a very strict elimination diet :)

From:    miscott <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: sparkling water

I have a woman who is exclusively feeding a 2 month old who has be diagnosed
as 'colicky' (his dad is a pediatrician).  She feels after trying to
eliminate many different foods that when she eliminated sparkling water (2-3
bottles per day) that his colic episodes decreased.  He does not technically
have colic in my mind since he is fine all day, but is v. fussy at night.
Has anyone ever heard of this?

Also I would love to hear about how long you, as LCs, tell mothers to avoid
dairy products to determine if this is the source of infant's distress.   I
will compile answers if you send me direct emails.
   Thanks as always for this wonderful resource, Lactnet!