From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2010 22:44:30 -0600
>I can't think of a better way to bring drugs into the US.  Just hide the
>packages with drugs in the bee hives...

I can think of many better ways such as the tunnel under the border with a
warehouse on the U.S. side recently found in California.

The *possibility* of drugs being shipped in is not enough of a reason to
prevent the import.

As of now the hives would need transferred within fifty miles of the border
with current rules on Mexican trucks and drivers. The Teamsters union is
putting up a good battle. I was a member of the Teamsters Union local 41 in
Kansas City for 31 years.

As I said before I do not see Mexican hives coming as good for U.S.
beekeeping but interested in not seeing the subject hijacked by those with
claims not based in reality.

The reality is that myself and lawyers which have looked at the issue have
not come up with a valid reason why the border would not open if U.S. crop
pollination was at stake.

APHIS has displayed to both national organizations and the California queen
breeders that reasons other than personal need made to force APHIS to act.

The Canada border likely would not open because of Canada not having small
hive beetle.

The Aussie import might be stopped due to the find of cerana (although far
from the queen and package areas.)

These are the types of things needed to change policy.

bob