From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 2010 14:20:45 -0600
Bob writes:
> A very unrealistic approach to a serious future problem!

>I don't get what you are suggesting is the reasonable alternative. Seems
>like you always bring up Mexico. I don't believe that is EVER going to
>happen,

The beekeeper which sent his lawyer to Washington to nudge the border open
to bees from Australia had no interest in seeing Australia bees enter the
U.S..  Only a first step in opening another border.

A lawyer looking into WTO rules has said he sees no reason the Mexico border
can not be opened. It is TRUE  that no attempt has been made yet. There are
reasons why no attempt has been made yet.

However a huge shortage in almonds would apply lots of pressure on Aphis.

>THAT is not realistic.

You have the right to your opinion but I have looked at the subject for a
period of years and find opening the border a real possibility. Those
wanting
the border open have worked out the details long ago.
Jim Fischer years ago made the comment that under WTO rules Mexican bees
would be allowed in unless a problem found in Mexico and not found in U.S.
bees was found. I might add both Jim & I agreed at the time that opening the
border was not in the best interests of U.S. beekeeping.

There is no barrier between the U.S. and Mexico for swarms. swarms cross all
the time. Mexican bees have the same issues as our bees. Including AHB,
nosema ceranae and SHB.

True California beekeepers will not be happy but Almond growers will get
bees *if* U.S. beekeepers can not supply. Commercial beekeepers today do not
own enough bees to pollinate all the trees I have been told. We can never be
sure of numbers tossed about but some say around 40,000 hives shortage last
season. Add another 40,000 ( new trees) and now we are looking at 80,000
hive shortage.

If so what will be the shortage in 2012?

2013?

As the gap widens pressure will rise for other sources of hives. Certain bee
brokers and researchers have helped by pointing out a package bee will not
pollinate like a full size hive. So now almond growers are looking for full
size hives with many frames of brood!

Only Canada & Mexico come to mind. Canada is not interested it seems but
Mexicans are ready to send hives. They do not realize "all the Gold in
California is in a bank in Beverly Hills in Somebody's else's name!"( as the
country song says!)

Many beeks have their heads stuck in the sand thinking things will always be
the same. The one thing I have learned after 50 years of beekeeping is
change is always happening in beekeeping and those beekeepers  which do not
adapt and change are doomed to failure.

 I would be interested in why exactly you feel there is no possibility of
the Mexico border opening other than simply a gut feeling Peter.

bob