HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Barbara Hickman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2010 10:43:54 -0600
Gaye and All, I don't know if the AIA is hosting tours, but if you open http://aia.archaeological.org/webinfo.php?page=10369, the local AIA community has a page for San Antonio attractions.

And yes, Bandera is in the hill country. BJH

Barbara J Hickman, Staff Archeologist
Archeological Studies Program
Environmental Affairs Division
Texas Department of Transportation
125 East 11th Street
Austin TX 78701
Telephone: 512.416.2637
Fax: 512.416.2680

As of 1 August 2010, my email address has changed to [log in to unmask] Please update your address book.

>>> On 28 December, 2010 at 9:32 PM, in message <[log in to unmask]>, Gaye Nayton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Barbara

Thanks for the advice. As you say Texas is big, like Western Australia, and
seems to have just as poor a transport network as WA. In WA you are stuffed
if you don't have a car, same appears to be true of Texas. I tried getting
around by train but it took too long so I am flying about the state which is
also what happens in WA.

I am getting to El Paso for 3 days at the end of the trip and hope to meet
up with Bill Lockhart there. I will also be spending a week in Fort Worth
and a week in Bandera, near San Antonio. Does anyone know any Fort Worth
archaeologists? I would like to meet up with them if I could. At Bandera I
am staying at the Dixie dude ranch so I am not sure if I can get off the
ranch to look further afield. I think this area is in the Texas hill country
but I am not sure. This trip has been hard to plan as work has left me so
little time to explore what might be on offer. Still I don't think I have
done bad, with a place as big and diverse as Texas I was never going to be
able to see all the good stuff in one trip.

Have a good year everyone and see you at the conference
Gaye