ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charlie Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2012 07:23:17 -0700

Hi Karen,

Thank you for showing this site, http://hint.fm/wind/.  It's quite lovely, the patterns are beautiful.  I haven't read any of the supporting description  but these look like near surface winds, and I would assume so since it's aimed at wind power generation.

What is interesting is that we, humans, typically sense temperature and humidity (inferred from skin wetness and evaporative cooling)  but are unable to sense atmospheric density differences, except as wind, which appears a mechanical stimulation and observable deflections.  These limitations of our perceptive sensory systems create vast amounts of confusion and obscure the drivers of weather and climate.  Instrumentation helps, is in fact essential, but it's a secondary abstraction from primary input.  It's amazing how in the "dark" we are.

Sent from Charlie's iPad

Berkeley, CA
Mobile 510-499-8086
Skypein: (510) 984-3543