ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Wendy Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2012 07:38:09 -0800

Please join ASTC and The Children's Museum of New Hampshire March 10 and 11, 2012 for the ASTC RAP From Access to Inclusion: Welcoming the Autism Community.

This RAP is a follow up to the recent ASTC Connect discussion moderated by Paula Rais, Director of Community Engagement at The Children's Museum of New Hampshire.  Please visit http://connect.astc.org/ to read the online discussion comments.

Exploring Our Way<http://childrensmuseumnh.wordpress.com/2011/11/29/exploring-our-way/> (EOW) was designed to provide a supportive and comfortable setting where children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) are able to gain skills and increase their confidence in the museum.

This RAP will explore the questions:

 *   What Autism is and is not
 *   How Exploring Our Way started and what the research tells us
 *   How your museum can support families who have a child on the autism spectrum
 *   How your museum can become a vital resource for families dealing with an ASD diagnosis
 *   Other museums' autism programs

See Exploring Our Way in action at the Children's Museum of NH, learn how you can replicate EOW in your museum, and hear from the autism experts who partnered with CMNH in creating EOW.

For more information, please visit http://www.childrens-museum.org/cmnh2010/content.aspx?id=1086.

Contact: Paula Rais, Director of Community Engagement
Phone: 603/ 742-2002

ASTC RAPs (Roundtables for Advancing the Professions) provide a forum for museum professionals to network, learn together, and expand their knowledge base. Hosted by ASTC-member institutions worldwide, these small-group weekend intensives have covered a wide range of topics-from camp-ins and youth programs to information-technology trends and outdoor science parks. Participation fees, which help to defray host museum costs, are generally U.S.$50 for employees of ASTC-member institutions and U.S.$100 for nonmembers.

Have an idea for a RAP? Proposal information can be found at http://astc.org/profdev/raps/guidelines.htm

__________________
Wendy Hancock
Association of Science-Technology Centers (ASTC)
Manager, Professional Development Services
1025 Vermont Avenue NW, Suite 500
Washington, D.C.  20005  USA
Phone: (202) 783-7200 x117
Fax: (202) 783-7207