ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Paul Orselli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Apr 2011 12:57:03 -0400

As Patricia's earlier comments indicate (and as the evaluation/research
surrounding the Exploratorium's APE Project confirms) the context(s) and
specifics of the space(s) and environment(s) that "design-based" or
"open-ended" activities are placed inside is a critical, yet often
overlooked, aspect of this sort of discussion.  Otherwise you can end up
with colored feathers scattered all over the place! ;-)

Some design-based activities and materials simply work better in
"controlled" spaces.  And by "controlled" I don't necessarily mean closed
classroom or lab spaces. We could also think about "hybrid" exhibit
environments that offer the visitor elements of spatial control and autonomy
even in, or adjacent to, the hustle-and-bustle context of an active exhibit
floor.  Instead of hard, fixed barriers think more of the notion of
"semi-permeable" membranes.

One wonderful example (of many such examples) of the design parameters for
creating just these sorts of "hybrid" spaces for open-ended exploration can
be found inside the *"Fostering Active Prolonged Engagement: The Art of
Creating APE Exhibits" book.  Available via ASTC publications:  <
http://www.astc.org/pubs/ape.htm >   (I should get a percentage based on how
many copies of this book I've helped sell! )

*The description of the evolution of the "Spinning Patterns" exhibit
component at the Exploratorium shows how a very physically "open"
single-user station involving a spinning disk of sand and tools could be
both messy and frustrating for users and staff.  (Imagine starting to create
a really interesting pattern in the sand, and then having another visitor
carelessly swipe a hand across it!)

What the Exploratorium exhibit developers did to modify the "Spinning
Patterns" exhibit was to create three identical stations and tool sets
facing toward each other on a single triangular-shaped platform, with each
station partially separated by "semi-permeable"  low clear acrylic
partitions.  Now, visitors could focus on creating patterns without feeling
rushed or worrying about their work getting messed up by others.  As an
added benefit, multiple friends or family members could be working,
comparing, and commenting on each other's patterns because of the spatial
arrangement as well.

The "Spinning Patterns" example is just one approach, but it neatly
encapsulates how the synergy between activities materials, and spaces can
lead to positive visitor experiences.

Paul Orselli, President and Chief Instigator

Paul Orselli Workshop (POW!)
World Headquarters
1684 Victoria Street
Baldwin, NY  11510

(516) 223-1043

POW! website
<http://www.orselli.net>

Exhibit tips + tricks at the ExhibiTricks blog:
<http://blog.orselli.net>

On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Patricia Verheyden <[log in to unmask]