ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Watson, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2010 14:02:42 -0400

Hi, everyone -

Since 1846 the Smithsonian has followed its mission for "... the increase and diffusion of knowledge ..." In the 21st century, though, diffusion may be too slow a process for the timely transmission of knowledge. In this seminar series, which took place from February - June 2010, five leading figures in the study of science education shared the results of their research on how science can be communicated most effectively to the public, particularly in informal settings such as museums.

The lecture series took place at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History and was presented by the Museum's Office of Education and Outreach and Senate of Scientists.

The lectures can be viewed at:

http://www.mnh.si.edu/education/beyond_diffusion.html

Topics include:

1)      Bruce MacFadden, "Communicating Evolution in Natural History Museums"

2)      Martin Storksdieck, "Research Methods and Surprising Findings: How Rigorous Research and Analysis Reveals what People Really Do and Say in Museums"

3)      Philip Bell, "Learning Science across Environments: Museums, Home, and School"

4)      John Falk, "Who is the Public? Researching Identity in Museums"

5)      E. Margaret Evans, "What do Visitors Really Know about Evolution? How We Know what They Know"

We hope you will find the series interesting, informative, and useful. Please feel free to contact me at [log in to unmask] with any comments, suggestions, or questions.

Bill

Bill Watson, Ed.D.
Chief of Onsite Learning
National Museum of Natural History