ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Erich Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2010 09:21:14 -0600

Folks,

I believe there is lots of room on this forum for debate and discussion on what makes an exhibit good, if not great.  Unfortunately in our efforts to keep things brief comments can come off as curt or even snarky when that is not the intention, especially knowing the contributors and their good intentions.  Sometimes, to make a point we over simplify, when we all know this stuff is really rather complicated.

There are many different forms of exhibitory to be found.  Everything from a simple graphic panel to totally open-ended-build-your-own activities.  There is still a debate,  over having graphics/instructions versus NO graphics at all.  Our visitors learn in different ways.  As the father of a child with ADHD I see how the formal academic system could fail her if not for the accommodations she receives in our excellent school district.  Not all kids with disabilities are so lucky.  It is our job as "informal Educators" to make sure we offer a variety of learning experiences.  This is as true for folks with disabilities as it is the general public, of all ages.

I think the example of the Whisper Dish is a great example of what an exhibit can be beyond its "typical" single phenomena manifestation.  So far we have had it described just that way; we have seen a great link to "historical" uses of the concept; discussions of how to use communication dishes to do with sound what is done with radio waves; how to add other "sound phenomena" elements to make it a richer experience; and how for one person it alone sparked a greater curiosity.  You can put together a pretty extensive list of similar stuff including those fiberglass animal ears to listen through, the geometry of parabolas, electromagnetic spectrum and wave phenomena, properties of materials and on and on.

Hey I'm the science geek at the natural history museum who actually reads those long paragraphs of text.  But as an exhibit designer I have been loath to put them in my exhibits.  I also really, really like big display cases loaded with fossils or other specimens just to look at and ponder.  But that is me and the next person may pass that by and go straight to the roaring animatronic, budget buster that doesn't do anything more than roar and shake its big rubber head.  For many kids the role play offered in a dig-pit could be the best experience.

In conclusion I think this can be great forum for running thru the pros and cons of various exhibit techniques.  Each has its purpose and place and they are not always exclusive of each other.  I eat all the M&Ms, but I do have my favorite colors....

Erich Rose

Erich Rose Design
807 The Living End
Austin, TX 78746