Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 2010 11:25:28 -0500
?>> Anyhow, do you have other details?  Did they wash bees for varroa?

> The bees were treated in Nebraska this fall and looked good when I visited
> last month. Not sure if he has used oxalic yet or even uses but I know he
> has in the past.

Yeah.  My bees looked great just before I discovered they were 'way over the
line with varroa.

I used oxalic drizzle last fall and split heavily this year.  I *assumed*
that the varroa growth would be the same as under this management in past
years, BUT I was *very* wrong and it cost me a year's progress.  Varroa
counts this fall was more than 3X what I expected.

> He said he brought fifty dead hives back up the road from Texas last week
> which were full of bees from he left for Texas.

Sounds familiar.

> ...sucrose in Nebraska made up by the beekeeper. HFCS from Dadant in
> Texas.

I had not fed HFCS for a few years and forgot how different it is, even
mixed down with sucrose half and half.  HFCS, even concentrated, wets and
drowns bees in open feeders whereas thick sucrose just floats them.