Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 2010 12:54:00 +0000
From:
R M WAHL <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Jaye,  I have some link to 2 free articles.  The first one is about chronic nipple pain and infections.  It is excellent.  The second one is the protocol on mastitis.
http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/pdfplus/10.1089/bfm.2006.0035
http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/pdfplus/10.1089/bfm.2008.9993

 I do have a couple of questions.  How old is the baby?  Has this mom been doing any pumping be fore you started seeing her?  In my experience, the cracking abound the base of the nipple is often seen with use of too small flanges.  Has she tried an 30mm flange?

Many MDs do not order cultures in a situation like this.  I was just reading an article about breast abcesses and they are not always cultured.
I don't think that topicals are necessarily used along with oral antibiotics.
You could have the mother consult with her pharmacist to confirm that this is a too high dose.  Mom could then call back to her  MD with this information.  I am concerned that you may be getting into a difficult situation with this mother and her doctor.  I hope that you can communicate directly with this MD.

I hope that some of the other MDs on the list can give you some info.  Sincerely, Rachel Wahl RN IBCLC