From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 2010 12:36:32 +1000
I would really encourage lactnetters, especially those who have experience
in living or working in resource poor settings, to listen to the programs
and write to the BBC. I'll paste below my letter
Karleen Gribble
Australia

Hello,
I listening to your program on whether breastfeeding is "creepy."  I thought
that it was a very interesting program and that the exploration of the
issues surrounding why women in a country like the UK might choose not to
breastfeed was valuable. However, I thought that because the BBC World
Service is broadcast worldwide that there was a responsibility to ensure
that it is made clear that while the "choice" to formula feed in the UK or
Western Europe might be one that can be made with limited negative impact on
child and mother that this is simply not the case in much of the world- that
(as Morgan Gallagher tried to communicate) that formula feeding commonly
results in death in much of the world. This is a message that MUST be
broadcast.
In two months I will be conducting training at a meeting convened by UNICEF
in the Philippines on infant feeding in emergencies. One of the things I
will be talking about is how whenever there is a natural emergency, media
reporting drives the literal flooding of emergency areas with donations of
infant formula- usually sent by well meaning individuals and organisations
that are simply unaware of the risks associated with formula feeding in
resource poor contexts. Programs like yours, that presented formula feeding
as a simple, legitimate and costless choice add to this problem.  They cause
harm. Increased infant morbidity and mortality results directly from media
reports that present infant formula as something that will help infants,
ignoring the risks. Health ministers and aid orgs like UNICEF and Save the
children working in countries affected by emergencies tear their hair out
trying to stop the container and truck loads of formula arriving in
emergency aid arriving and being distributed. Please, could you consider
actually having a world view in your programs and understand that what might
be OK in the UK may not be OK in India or in Botswana or Peru. Could you
please consider having interviewees  who know what they are talking about-
are experts on infant feeding, on the marketing of infant formula, on the
support needed by women to breastfeed, on the relative importance of infant
feeding decisions in developed vs underdeveloped contexts?? The cultural
blinkers of living in a privileged environment with good sanitation and
health care were evident in your interviewer.