From:
Laura Wasielewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 2010 12:12:04 -0400
Hi Yasmeen,

Just to clarify, I don't think antenatal expression itself is necessarily weird. The example you gave of nursing a child while pregnant is a perfect example of a very normal case of "antenatal expression." I could also possibly see the value of antenatal expression if mom has a history of preterm delivery and/or is a high risk pregnancy with preterm delivery likely. A small stash of milk could help those moms avoid formula in the first few days. What I do find strange is a blanket recommendation that ALL pregnant women need to express during pregnancy *just in case* they deliver early. In my opinion this approach doesn't seem like it's treating birth and breastfeeding as normal (which I thought was particularly strange given that the recommendation was made by a prominent midwife). Perhaps antenatal expression would not be a bad idea for all if the goal was to teach hand expression before delivery???

Just my two cents!

Laura Wasielewski MS, CCC.SLP, IBCLC
Los Angeles, CA