Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 2010 12:12:04 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (34 lines)
Hi Yasmeen,

Just to clarify, I don't think antenatal expression itself is necessarily weird. The example you gave of nursing a child while pregnant is a perfect example of a very normal case of "antenatal expression." I could also possibly see the value of antenatal expression if mom has a history of preterm delivery and/or is a high risk pregnancy with preterm delivery likely. A small stash of milk could help those moms avoid formula in the first few days. What I do find strange is a blanket recommendation that ALL pregnant women need to express during pregnancy *just in case* they deliver early. In my opinion this approach doesn't seem like it's treating birth and breastfeeding as normal (which I thought was particularly strange given that the recommendation was made by a prominent midwife). Perhaps antenatal expression would not be a bad idea for all if the goal was to teach hand expression before delivery??? 

Just my two cents!

Laura Wasielewski MS, CCC.SLP, IBCLC
Los Angeles, CA

Date:    Mon, 21 Jun 2010 03:18:42 -0700
Subject: Re: Antenatal expressing

Dear WiseOnes,

I am confused specially since some of you seem to think of expressing milk antenataly as weired, never or rarely heard of and certainly do not recommend to any mother. Do correct if I am missing something, are there not many mothers around the world who continue to nurse their older children through the pregnancy with no risks attached whatsoever? How is expressing very different from allowing a child to nurse through pregnancy?

Take Care

Yasmin
(Just counselled a mother who was confused about continuing to nurse her 18 month baby and she is 4 months pregnant)
Mumbai, India

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2