From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 2010 08:48:40 -0700

> >Show me the evidence that misting bleach effectively sterilizes anything
> (as opposed to soaking).

No evidence, Pete, but I have not heard anyone but yourself use the term
"misting."  I believe that Bob uses the term "spraying," which implies the
application of a layer of liquid into the combs.

One of the problems of soaking combs is that bubbles get trapped in the
cells, thus keeping the sterilization solution from contacting the insides
of some cells.  A strong spray may do a better job at ensuring penetration
of the sterilant.

With a bleach solution as strong as Bob's, there would likely be no need for
more than a thin film to have the same effect as a "soak" of the weaker
solutions tested by Dr. Winston.

Winston's original data suggest that a solution as strong as Bob's (1 part
bleach to 4 parts water) may deactivate AFB spores within minutes.  Could
well be the case for N ceranae spores as well.

However, this discussion is largely academic until actual tests are run.

Randy Oliver