From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2010 14:25:20 +0100
There is another issue - far more pertinent.

This isn't a consultation.  It's an examination.  A formal examination,
being monitored and assessed by outside agencies, to ensure fairness to
all candidates.

Exams have a set time, in order to allow all candidates, to have the
same opportunity of passing.  Every single person, sitting the exam, is
engaged in a contract with the examination board, and the external
assessor of the exam process.

Special conditions exist, in order to allow equality for all
participants, if they have disabilities or special circumstances.  The
special considerations are for both time, the space of the exam, and the
sitting procedures.  Each are tailored for the special circumstance.
But it's tailored to the circumstance, not the examinee.  Therefore if
you have disability (a) for get the set consideration for (a).  It's not
open ended.  If you are dyslexic, you all get the dyslexic allowance, etc.

What is being asked for here, is open ended time, and space, in order to
accommodate an 'unknown'   How  much that baby might need on that day.
It is simply impossible, to do this fairly, in light of ALL candidates.
Not that mother, not that baby, but the entire body of those sitting
exams.  Exams are standardised, in order to be fair to everyone.

You can argue about who should pay for the extra room.  But I cannot see
how any formal exam system, can accommodate, unlimited time breaks,
without any known structure, in advance.  The entire cohort have to sit
the exam, with equal conditions.  There is flexibility on accommodation
of special need.  I genuinely can't see how any exam board, could
accommodate the unknown, variable, and unspecified needs of a baby, on
any one day.  As soon as they set limits, you'd have one baby,
somewhere, breaking them.  Say they said a mother could take a 15 minute
break every 60 minutes.  What happens if the baby feeds for 17 minutes,
and the Mum complains she was being told there was a time limit on her
baby feeding?  It was unfair she was robbed of 2 minutes exam time?

If anyone has a way around this - making the time fair to all the
examinees, in a set and ordered way, around a baby's unknown needs on
the day - speak now!

Morgan Gallagher