HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Cathy Spude <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 12 Apr 2010 09:48:45 -0600
Gaye:

I will be publishing my work on pattern recognition in the 1880 - 1920
period in the North American West in our book to be entitled ELDORADO! THE
ARCHAEOLOGY OF THE NORTHERN GOLD RUSHES, edited by Catherine Holder Spude,
Robin O. Mills, Karl Gurcke and Roderick Sprague and published by the
University of Nebraska Press in the fall of 2011. In the meantime you can
get some information on the method from my article in Historical
Archaeology, Vol. 39, No. 1. and from my report on the Mascot Saloon in
Skagway, Alaska. Contact Karl Gurcke at [log in to unmask] for a copy of
the latter report. The Mascot Saloon report contains an appendix which
outlines the method and presents all comparative data.

You MIGHT find the 1880 -1920 period in North America of more comparability
than the British Colonial period (then, again, you might not). I chose 1880
as my cut-off date because that was when the railroad arrived in so many
places in the North American West, making access to manufactured products
widely available, especially glass. My glass frequencies may be much higher
than yours in the 1860's.

However, I strongly urge you to take a look at how I developed my
methodology and my artifact categories. Even if you do not use the data, you
might find either/or the methodology and categories of use.

I'll send you a draft of the chapter from the ELDORADO! book offline.

Cathy

Catherine Holder Spude, PhD
7 Avenida Vista Grande #145
Santa Fe, NM 87508
505-466-1476 home
505-913-1326 cell

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you are standing outside the
fire," Jenny Yates and Garth Brooks.