HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 2009 13:41:40 -0700
8bit
From:
BERNARD FONTANA <[log in to unmask]>
The German Father Ignaz Pfefferkorn, who worked as a Jesuit missionary in
Sonora in the mid-18th century, had this to say ["Sonora: A Description of
the Province," Tucson, The University of Arizona Press, 1989, p. 178]:

"Snuff-taking is not so common in New Spain as is smoking.  The Spaniards
smoke so immoderately that some, when they awaken during the night,
immediately have the desire to smoke.  Men and women of all kinds and
classes, even children of 10 and 12 years, smoke tobacco.  They do not use
pipes for this but a piece of paper an inch wide and a finger long which is
filled with crumpled tobacco and rolled up.  Such American pipes are often
called 'cigarros.'  In like manner, Spaniards use whole tobacco leaves,
rolled up without paper.  These are called 'puros.'  In towns and villages
both kinds are sold by the shopkeepers.  Everyone aways carried with him the
makings for a smoke, namely, cut tobacco, or finished cigarros, flint and
steel, and instead of a tinder a wick made of cotton bound with twine.  The
wick catches fire easily.
    "The rabble carry their tobacco, cigarros and puros, in paper or tin
boxes.  The richer people have boxes which are delicately decorated with
gold and silver, sometimes set with brilliants.  Some women carry these
boxes fastened to their dresses in the same way that gold watches are
carried in Germany.  If one visits among the gentle-folk he is first served
chocolate, then is offered a tray of cigarros which is accompanied always by
a little dish of coals for lighting them.  The little dish is often made of
silver.  It is a special honor if a woman lights a cigarro with her own
hand, touches the end of it to her lips, and takes the first puff, and
thereafter hands it to a guest.  It was considered impolite if one refused
this honor."

Bunny Fontana