From:
Karyn-grace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2010 22:08:30 -0700
Hello, wise ones.

I am wondering if anyone else out there is struggling as I am with what to
do about VERY wounded nipples that won't heal?  To clarify:

I am seeing clients at 1, 2, and even 3 months post partum presenting with
long-term chronic situations because clients are being referred to me as a
last resort (thanks, people!) and by the time I begin working with the
mother, I honestly have no CLUE what is going on with her nipple tissue.
Not too long ago, it all seemed to just be yeast, and mom would respond well
to appropriate treatment.  Then, we started to realize that it wasn't only
yeast, it was also bacteria or maybe just bacteria, but if we caught it soon
enough, Dr. Jack's APNO would work wonders.

Then, of course there things like tongue tie, palate abnormalities,
prematurity, damage from in correct pump uses, etc. etc. and bottles were
introduced and shields were introduced and then there are the moms who are
allergic to wool who react to the lanolin, and moms who develop dermatitis
because of all the activity at their breasts, and, of course plugged ducts
and mastitis and, and, and, and...

Now, it seems like all my clients are dealing with ALL of these problems and
I have no idea how to help them.  Long gone is the dyad who had one or two
issues that *I* understood, now I am dealing with clients who have so many
layers of complexity, that *MY* mind is drawing a blank.

Am I the only one out there who is dealing with this?

And, mostly, I need to know how the heck do I get those nipples healed?

Karyn-grace Clarke, IBCLC
Happy Tribe Consulting
"For Milk Makers, Drinkers, and Those Who Love Them"
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
250-739-3146