Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2010 18:38:02 -0400
But, as you note, it's just lemongrass and spearmint oils in concentrated
> syrup with a little lecithin.  I don't know if it helps in treating mites,
> but it sure makes the syrup attractive to the bees, even if there is a flow
> on, which I find useful for building up splits and nucs.  But, it also
> increases robbing, so there is a downside.

After I posted that I would only use thymol, if I did it, the comments by
most who used lemongrass and spearmint mirrored yours and I wondered if the
three are actually better than thymol alone. The reason is acceptance by the
bees. They seem to like the mix and take it down quickly. So I lean to the
three oils together, just as you are gong to do.

I noted that the two (LG&S) did not seem to give consistent mite control,
but did give some. The problem with all the anecdotal evidence of the
efficacy of LG&S is you have no idea what else is going on. So the addition
of thymol would seem to be an effective mite treatment.

It sure would be nice to see a trial beyond where DS and company took
theirs. Back in the past I know there were some with EO sprays, but not sure
with syrup feed. Certainly is a lot of anecdotal evidence that it works...
but there was for FGMO too.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine