Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2010 16:17:03 GMT
Although there is still no official "Organic Standard" for honey in the U.S., there have been some recent changes.  I'm a bit scattered at the moment (slept home about 4 nights in the last month), but my recollection is:

Honeybees are now included in the definition of "livestock" in the overall organic standard...so technically, the same set of regs that apply to cattle and such now applies to bees.

There are other changes wrt the use of allowed substances.

We were fortunate that there was a meeting of Organic Inspectors in Arizona right around the time of the Organic Beekeeping Conference in Oracle earlier this month, and so we had Arthur Harvey and Stan Hildebrand (both organic inspectors that keep bees themselves...note that their honey is not certified organic) come and speak/lead a discussion.  For those interested in organic honey certification, I think this is a must watch talk, as there is new information that I haven't seen covered anywhere else:
http://www.vimeo.com/10211570

deknow