HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Rebecca S. Graff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2010 20:20:20 -0600
Hi Andy and Histarchers,

With regard to your comments, I want to take a moment to
clarify my point from my earlier email regarding the History
Detectives.

I am aware that there are often competing interests between
academic archaeological projects and "infotainment"-type
television programs.  I have been involved with the local and
national media in the past, and am working with a private
documentary group right now.  Certainly, these programs do
much to promote archaeology to the general public, and the
relationship between archaeologists and this sort of
educational programming can be mutually beneficial (like Time
Team America).

In this particular instance, I was trying to make sure that
the television producers did not do something illegal, or
inadvertently promote illegal and destructive activity that
would compromise the archaeological materials at the site for
everyone--academics, crm firms, and the interested public alike.

Sincerely,
Rebecca