Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 2010 19:44:41 -0800
Is there an evidence-based answer to when and if one needs to
wean from a nipple shield. If baby is thriving and mom is content,
is there any rush? Are there any documented negative effects
of using a shield for an extended period of time--or even for
the duration of breastfeeding? I know in the past that the old-school
shields caused milk-transfer issues and led to a lot of poor
infant weight gain. But I am wondering about the newer silicone
shields.

I can imagine why many moms might wish to wean from them when
it becomes possible to do so--convenience, removing the "barrier"
between them and their little one, getting rid of the feeling
that a crutch is needed, etc.

But I was faced with the question today about when or whether
it is necessary to wean the baby off of nipple shields and realized
that while all the literature I looked at indicated that we should
always have an eye towards weaning from them, no one ever really
articulated why.

I understand the risk of a woman who has not been educated on
proper use having issues with milk supply and infant weight gain.
But when used properly and appropriately and successfully, do
the silicone shields really carry any longterm risks? Are there
any oral development issues to consider when using longterm?

Beyond the obvious psychological and aesthetic benefits of being
able to nurse without a shield, I'm wondering if there are any
concrete reasons why a mother should wean her baby from them
if she doesn't want to. And if so, at what point is ideal.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Best,
Brooke Casey
Northern California, USA