In-Reply-To:
Content-Transfer-Encoding:
quoted-printable
Sender:
Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (135 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

I've found this question to be really challenging as well.  Just from the operational side of the experience:  How much information to the teacher before the experience is too much information?  How can we help teachers get information at that magically right moment when they are most likely to think about the experience and its rich potential for learning?  How do we help chaperones navigate the building successfully and engage with their children?

You've brought up some really important points in terms of facilitating the learning experience once children are within the space.  I really appreciate your feedback.

Any ideas from others in the network? 

Thanks,
Anne

Anne Herndon
Director, School and Group Programs
Fort Worth Museum of Science and History
1600 Gendy Street
Fort Worth, Texas  76107
817-255-9521
[log in to unmask]

-----Original Message-----
From: Informal Science Education Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Eric Meyer
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 11:33 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Enriching field trip experiences

ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Anne,

I think this is a difficult question for a number of reasons.  I think it depends on whether or not you have staff/volunteers on the floor to facilitate engagement.  I think it also depends on what visitors can do with your exhibits.  It can also be influenced by the environment.  

In the ASTC Dimensions from Jan/Feb 2003 an article on floor staff educational impact noted that "average length of stay in one area without floor staff was 56 seconds.  When live programming and hands-on activities were added, visitor time investment increased to 4 minutes 59
seconds.  Satisfaction with the gallery also improved significantly."   

Our staff facilitate engagement by asking questions in a style like that of Hilda Taba and other question types and sequences to support inquiry.
We also may provide additional materials to assist visitors in pursuing their own lines of inquiry.

That being said, our exhibits also have multiple entry points for visitors and many possible outcomes of their activities with an exhibit.
If I am limited to pushing a button, and a sign tells me what is going on or what I am supposed to learn from the exhibit, then I am afraid my engagement is going to be limited also.  

At our center, all school group visits are facilitated by an Explora educator.  We split them into groups of 30 maximum and take each group to a different part of the museum to start their visit.  We then facilitate exhibit engagement in that area before moving with them to the next area.  A typical 2 hour school visit spends about 40 minutes in each of our 3 main areas.  Explora educators are also able to model behavior and act as co-learners with the students which can also assist teachers and chaperones by providing positive approaches to influence constructive, thoughtful behavior for their students.  

Our environment also plays a big role.  All exhibits have stools at them inviting people to sit and linger, to take their time.  The exhibit floor is also set up like a rabbit warren with lots of nooks and crannies where 3 or 4 exhibits form a cluster.  In this manner people are able to focus on what is in front of them and not be distracted by things going on in other areas (reduced 'window-shopping' effect?).  It slows the pace and provides for semi-privacy while at the same time facilitating small group sharing.  

Like I said, a difficult question...

Hope some of this is helpful.

Sincerely,

Eric 

Eric Meyer
Explorations/Special Projects Manager
Explora
www.explora.us

1701 Mountain Rd. NW
Albuquerque, NM 87104

[log in to unmask]
505-224-8386 phone
505-224-8310 fax
From: Informal Science Education Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Anne Herndon
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 3:50 PM
Subject: Enriching field trip experiences

ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Good afternoon, all.   

We are in the process of looking at ways to enrich the exhibit field trip experiences of the teachers and students who come on a field trip, particularly on a heavy field trip day-which for us can be about 1,500 in the exhibit galleries.

I was wondering if you all could share some of the techniques and tips you use to help teachers and chaperones use your exhibit galleries effectively.  The tips could be operational in nature (how to get groups to not all visit the same gallery at the same time) or educational in nature (how do you help groups go deeper into the educational experiences of the exhibit and not just "window-shop" from component to component).

Thanks in advance,
Anne

Anne Herndon
Director, School and Group Programs
Fort Worth Museum of Science and History 1600 Gendy Street Fort Worth, Texas  76107
817-255-9521
[log in to unmask]

From: Informal Science Education Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Gordon, Myles
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 4:41 PM
Subject: Re: Art/Science

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft.
To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to [log in to unmask]

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to [log in to unmask]

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2