ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jack Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2008 11:48:11 -0600

Eric Siegel wrote:
> institutions.
>

> If I read the hubble site's description correctly, this is a field of
> debris, and the planet was located by the distortion in the field of
> debris...

> Eric Siegel
> esiegel at nyscience dot org

Correct, and pretty much explained in the news release which is
at the link you posted.

Couldn't come at a more convenient time with us leading into IYA.

The IYA site is very extensive at http://www.astronomy2009.org/

In our own case, we are working with the NASA Nebraska Space Grant
Consortium on a bunch of events across the state.  Astronomical
Society of the Pacific is organizing a lot of resources.  In our own
case, we'll have an opening speaker for IYA on Jan. 17th up
at Strategic Air and Space Museum.  There will be a number of
speakers brought in throughout the year.  I'm doing a short fulldome
show on amateur astronomy astrophotography.  And have applied
for a Space Grant mini-grant to do a traveling display of some of this
astrophotography.  I'm also creating all the video for a "Final Frontier"
concert by the Omaha Symphony in March (its one of their family concerts).
They didn't know about IYA when they came to me, but now we'll make
it one of our IYA events.     But no doubt there will be events all over
the globe during the year.  I would keep checking the IYA website for
details.

--

Clear DARK Skies,

Jack Dunn - Mueller Planetarium