From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 2009 23:30:41 +0000
Rachel, thanks for your quick and considered
response, defending the Global Strategy as a good
resource for breastfeeding advocates.  I always
see WHO documents through the prism of
breastfeeding in the context of HIV, and lately
to defend breastfeeding against the provision and
distribution of huge quantities of ready to use
(?therapeutic?) foods in resource-poor
areas.  RUTFs are being used to treat and lately
to prevent severe acute malnutrition, including
that caused by recommendations for premature
weaning by HIV+ mothers (see
<http://www.unicef.org/nutrition/index_51688.html>http://www.unicef.org/nutrition/index_51688.html
or
<http://www.unicef.org/media/media_46991.html>http://www.unicef.org/media/media_46991.html
or
<http://www.unicef.org.uk/store/group_display.aspx?grp=42BF34CE-45C8-4AAB-A2EC-B5F5EC418F20>http://www.unicef.org.uk/store/group_display.aspx?grp=42BF34CE-45C8-4AAB-A2EC-B5F5EC418F20

Rates of exclusive breastfeeding were reported to
be 2% in Niger while containers of packaged
peanut paste foods were distributed to thousands
of children to first treat and then prevent
malnutrition. See
http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=22155&Cr=Niger&Cr1.
In Malawi HIV+ mothers are advised to stop
breastfeeding at 6 months to reduce the length of
time that their infants are exposed to the virus,
and then RUTFs are used prophylactically to head
off the malnutrition known to result from
premature weaning.   See
http://www.projectpeanutbutter.org/PPB/Project_Peanut_Butter.html
and
<http://www.med.unc.edu/infdis/news/unc-receives-nearly-2-2-million-to-study-nutritional-supplements-to-protect-hiv-positive-mothers-and-their-infants-in-africa>http://www.med.unc.edu/infdis/news/unc-receives-nearly-2-2-million-to-study-nutritional-supplements-to-protect-hiv-positive-mothers-and-their-infants-in-africa

While the targets you quote from the Global
Strategy are indeed reassuring, I find the
following basis of the strategy, promoting
maternal decision-making, but being less than
clear about breastfeeding, as well as its aims
and objectives, to be much more ambigious, and thus less helpful:

"The global strategy for infant and young child feeding is based on
respect, protection, facilitation and fulfilment of accepted human
rights principles. Nutrition is a crucial, universally recognized component
of the childs right to the enjoyment of the highest attainable
standard of health as stated in the Convention on the Rights of
the Child. Children have the right to adequate nutrition and access
to safe and nutritious food, and both are essential for fulfilling their
right to the highest attainable standard of health. Women, in turn,
have the right to proper nutrition, to decide how to feed their children,
and to full information and appropriate conditions that will
enable them to carry out their decisions. These rights are not yet
realized in many environments

Determining the aim and objectives
6. The aim of this strategy is to improve  through optimal feeding
the nutritional status, growth and development, health, and thus
the survival of infants and young children.
7. The strategys specific objectives are:
 to raise awareness of the main problems affecting infant and young
child feeding, identify approaches to their solution, and provide
a framework of essential interventions;
 to increase the commitment of governments, international
organizations and other concerned parties1 for optimal feeding
practices for infants and young children;
 to create an environment that will enable mothers, families and
other caregivers in all circumstances to make  and implement
informed choices about optimal feeding practices for infants and
young children.

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England