ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 2009 12:38:19 -0500

Hello all,

My name is Sara Fitzgerald, and I am the Education and Public Outreach
Coordinator for the Center for Chemistry of the Universe (CCU), which is an
NSF Center for Chemical Innovation headquartered at the University of
Virginia. We are currently preparing a proposal for submission to the NSF
ISE program, specifically the "Communicating Research to Public Audiences"
solicitation.

To strengthen our proposal, we would like to assess the level of interest
within the ISE community for an exhibit such as ours. It will be small (<
500 s.f.) and modular in design to allow for configuration along a wall or
in the center of a lobby-type space. The exhibit modules will feature
detection techniques used in chemistry and radio astronomy as well as
research findings from the CCU and the broader astrochemistry community. We
also plan to develop associated pre- and post-visit extended learning
materials to enrich the exhibit experience. Though the modules will likely
contain material of interest to all ages, the conceptual design has focused
on a target audience that is 12-15 years of age. Interested parties can
contact me for a more detailed project summary.

We would very much appreciate if you would let us know of your potential
interest in this opportunity or other general comments you may have. As
scientists, we are very quick to admit that informal science education is a
new arena for us, so any and all advice is welcome!

With sincere thanks,

Sara Fitzgerald, Ph.D.
CCU Education and Public Outreach Coordinator

**For those of you interested in learning more about the CCU, please visit:
http://www.virginia.edu/ccu

**Or, become a Facebook fan of the CCU at:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Charlottesville-VA/Center-for-Chemistry-of-the-Universe/101195352161

Center for Chemistry of the Universe
Brooks H. Pate, CCU Director
Department of Chemistry