ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Erich Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 2009 10:56:22 -0600

Franks dead, leave him out of this....

Just kidding, well he is really dead, isn't he?

But the point should be taken to mean that focus groups are just one tool we use and like any tool they can be misused or give false readings.  I've sat through a few that got pretty darn ugly.  But you have to sort through what gets said and what was really meant.  And you certainly do not have to take everything said to heart.  I would try and decide what you want to learn and develop a fine focus around that. Too broad and it becomes a gripe/love session. Too focused and the participants sit quietly and you get no extra input.

Consider asking about Operations: hours, services, facility, etc.  Or exhibits: topics, activity levels, age levels, etc.  Programs: camps, daily activities, story time, tots time, etc.

Don't ask about cost of admissions (it will be unreal what you hear) and don't ask something totally open-ended such as "What exhibits would you like us to have?"  Again find a focus for the focus group and stick to it.

Erich Rose

Erich Rose Design
807 The Living End
Austin, TX 78746